For detection of disease in renal tissue biopsies.
At least two, and preferably three biopsies, each having representative portions of cortex and medulla, should be submitted. The biopsies should be sent STAT to the laboratory with an accompanying copy of the patient's clinical history. Either core or wedge segments can be submitted. Call courier dispatch at 205-591-7999 for a STAT pick-up.
1. Specimen Requisition
2. Specimen Bag with a biohazard label
3. Saline-moistened gauze
• Renal biopsies should be sent fresh on saline-moistened gauze.
• Label specimen container with patient name, specimen type and location.
• Submit all patient information following the procedure for "Completing a
• Renal biopsies are sent to the University of Alabama in Birmingham for
electron microscopy evaluation.
Complete test requisition including last and first name of patient, patient's date of birth and social security number, body site and source of specimen collected. Label specimen container (using the labels provided on the requisition) with patient's first name and last name, and body site/source. The container must have at least two (2) unique identifiers. Examples of unique identifiers: patient name, DOB, unique bar code, etc. Include pertinent clinical information, i.e., previous malignancy, radiation therapy, drugs, etc. Place container in a specimen bag with a biohazard label. Place the requisition in the side pocket of the specimen bag.
924 Montclair Road, Suite 200, Birmingham, Alabama 35213 P: 888.553.8584 F: 205.591.5051