Peripheral Blood for Flow CytometryIndications:
Examination of peripheral blood for presence or absence of abnormal cells (e.g. leukemia and lymphoma) and/or evaluation of T cell subsets (T4/T8 ratio) in immunodeficiencies (e.g. HIV or AIDS) and/or quantitation of precursor CD34 positive cells.
1. Sodium heparin (green top) or EDTA (lavender top) tube
2. CPA Laboratories requisition form
3. Biohazard bag for specimen transport
1. Using the standard sterile venipuncuture technique, collect peripheral blood to fill a
standard sodium heparin (green top) blood tube or EDTA (lavender top) blood tube.
For pediatric patients, the smaller pediatric sized tubes are also acceptable.
2. Fill out the CPA requisition form and include the clinical diagnosis, specific tests
requested (Leukemia/Lymphoma panel, Immune Deficiency Panel or Total CD34
count) and time and date of collection.
3. Submit to the Laboratory in a biohazard bag.
Complete test requisition including last and first name of patient, patient's date of birth
and social security number, body site and source of specimen collected. Label specimen
container (using the labels provided on the requisition) with patient's first name and last
name, and body site/source. The container must have at least two (2) unique identifiers.
Examples of unique identifiers: patient name, DOB, unique bar code, etc.
Include pertinent clinical information, i.e., previous malignancy, radiation therapy, drugs,
etc. Place container in a specimen bag with a biohazard label. Place the requisition in the
side pocket of the specimen bag.
924 Montclair Road, Suite 200, Birmingham, Alabama 35213 P: 888.553.8584 F: 205.591.5051