Pathology, GeneralGeneral Information:
Specimens for routine pathological evaluation must be submitted in 10% neutral buffered formalin (10% NBF), which initiates fixation of the tissue and stops autolysis. The amount of formalin should be at least 15-20 times the volume of the specimen. A formalin health hazard label must be on each container (OSHA requirement). Be certain that small specimens do not get caught in the lid or on the side of the container, where they can dry out. Exceptions to 10% Neutral Buffered Formalin: Specimens requiring special handling or processing other than routine histology should NOT be sent in 10% NBF. Please refer to specific specimen procedures to determine the exact method.
Examples of Exceptions Include:
• Frozen section specimens
• Flow cytometry specimens
• Muscle biopsy specimens
• Nerve biopsy specimens
• Renal biopsy specimens
• Skin biopsies for Immunofluorescence
• Gout/Uric Acid crystal identification
Specimens will be considered unacceptable under any of the following circumstances:
1. Unlabeled specimens
2. Significant discrepancy between label and requisition
3. Illegible or incomplete patient name or specimen site
4. Paired specimen sites of paired organs where "right" or "left" location is not designated
5. The client will be contacted by phone for corrective information and/or return of the
specimen and requisition to client for correction.
A Cunningham Pathology, LLC requisition form must accompany the specimen to the laboratory. Use the Histology requisition.
Please include the following information on the requisition form to ensure accurate specimen preparation interpretation, result reporting and billing. Exclusion of any of the following information may result in specimen rejection and/or processing delays.
• Patient complete name, date of birth, sex and social security number.
• Specimen source.
• Date specimen was obtained.
• Pertinent clinical information
• Insurance name and policy number
• Patient's address
• Physician's complete name (first and last), as well as the complete name of any
physician requiring copies of the report.
924 Montclair Road, Suite 200, Birmingham, Alabama 35213 P: 888.553.8584 F: 205.591.5051