Muscle and Nerve BiopsiesIndication:
Some of the pathologic changes in muscle can be seen on the H&E stain but histochemistry techniques are required to demonstrate disease states related to enzymes.
Some of the pathologic changes in nerve biopsies can be seen with special stains and IHC stains but some changes can only be seen with an electron microscope.
1. Muscle Biopsy
2. Nerve Biopsy
1. Specimen Requisition
2. Specimen Bag with a biohazard label
3. Gauze or Telfa pad moistened with saline (not submerged).
• A 24-hour notice is requested. Biopsies cannot be accepted on Friday's after 3 pm or prior
to a public holiday.
• Submit a muscle biopsy specimen that is approximately 1.0 cm. in length and 0.5 cm. in
width. The specimen should be gently laid on a gauze or Telfa pad moistened with saline
(not submerged). Submitting the tissue on clamps is unnecessary.
• Nerve segments should be sent STAT to the laboratory. Call courier dispatch at 205-591-799
for a STAT pick-up. Biopsies should be delivered to the laboratory within one hour
• A copy of the patient's clinical history must accompany the muscle or nerve biopsy.
• Muscle and nerve biopsies are sent to the University of Alabama in Birmingham for
histochemistry and electron microscopy evaluation.
Complete test requisition including last and first name of patient, patient's date of birth and
social security number, body site and source of specimen collected. Label specimen container
(using the labels provided on the requisition) with patient's first name and last name, and body
site/source. The container must have at least two (2) unique identifiers. Examples of unique
identifiers: patient name, DOB, unique bar code, etc. Include pertinent
clinical information, i.e., previous malignancy, radiation therapy, drugs, etc. Place container in
a specimen bag with a biohazard label. Place the requisition in the side pocket of the
924 Montclair Road, Suite 200, Birmingham, Alabama 35213 P: 888.553.8584 F: 205.591.5051