For routine pathology in a breast reduction specimen
Each breast reduction specimen site should be weighed by the client and the intraoperative weight recorded on the specimen requisition next to the corresponding site. If the specimen is received without weights or if the lab weights vary by more than 50 grams per site from the client weights, the client will be notified.
1. Specimen Requisition
2. 10% neutral buffered formalin container (of appropriate size) with formalin hazard label
3. Specimen Bag with a biohazard label
• Submit specimen in an appropriate sized container of 10% neutral buffered formalin.
• Record the specimen weight on the specimen requisition and container.
• Label specimen container with patient name, specimen type and location (including "right"
or "left" designation).
• Submit all patient information following the procedure for "Completing a Surgical
Complete test requisition including last and first name of patient, patient's date of birth and social security number, body site and source of specimen collected. Label specimen container (using the labels provided on the requisition) with patient's first name and last name, and body site/source. The container must have at least two (2) unique identifiers. Examples of unique identifiers: patient name, DOB, unique bar code, etc. Include pertinent clinical information, i.e., previous malignancy, radiation therapy, drugs, etc. Place container
in a specimen bag with a biohazard label. Place the requisition in the side pocket of the specimen bag.
924 Montclair Road, Suite 200, Birmingham, Alabama 35213 P: 888.553.8584 F: 205.591.5051