BD Affirm (Candida, Gardnerella, Trichomonas)Indication:
The BD Affirm Microbial Identification Test is a DNA probe test intended for use in the detection and identification of Candida species, Gardnerella vaginalis and Trichomonas vaginalis nucleic acid in vaginal fluid specimens from patients with symptoms of vaginitis/vaginosis.
Vaginal Sample (BD Affirm Microbial Identification Test)
1. Specimen Requisition
2. Specimen Bag with a biohazard label
3. Vaginal sample (BD Affirm Mirobial Transport Swab)
1. Open the seal and remove the components. Break the transport reagent ampule and
dispense into sample collection tube.
2. Insert an un-lubricated speculum into the vaginal to permit visualization of the posterior
3. Using the sterile swab, obtain a sample from the posterior vaginal fornix. Twist or roll the
swab against the vaginal wall two or three times ensuring the entire circumference of the
swab has touched the vaginal wall. Swab the lateral vaginal wall while removing the swab.
4. Immediately place the swab in the sample collection tube.
5. With the swab touching the bottom of the collection tube, grasp the pre-scored handle of
the swab just above the top of the tube and bend until the swab breaks. When the swab is
fully inserted into the collection tube, the score mark on the swab is approximately 1 cm.
above the top of the collection tube. Discard the broken handle into an infectious waste
6. Place the cap over the exposed end of the swab and firmly press the cap onto the tube.
The cap will "snap" onto the tube when it is properly seated.
7. Label the sample collection tube with the patient name and date of birth, including the time
the sample was collected.
8. Place in a biohazard bag along with the completed requisition in the side pocket of the
STORAGE REQUIEMENTS – Room Temperature
STABILITY REQUIREMENTS – 72 hours
Submit all patient information following the procedure for "Completing a Gynecologic Cytology Requisition".
Complete test requisition including last and first name of patient, patient's date of birth and social security number, body site and source of specimen collected. Label specimen container (using the labels provided on the requisition) with patient's first name and last name, and body site/source. The container must have at least two (2) unique identifiers. Examples of unique identifiers: patient name, DOB, unique bar code, etc. Include pertinent clinical information, i.e., previous malignancy, radiation therapy, drugs, etc. Place container in a specimen bag with a biohazard label. Place the requisition in the side pocket of the
924 Montclair Road, Suite 200, Birmingham, Alabama 35213 P: 888.553.8584 F: 205.591.5051